The Fast Set

I’m a fairly solitary person, happy with my own company with a few close friends. Friends have tended to come from work (though I find I get along better with people when I don’t work with them! I’m sure they think the same about me!). But once I move on, the friendships become more distant. Except for Mr J who is my best friend, of course, and we met through work. We don’t work for the same organisation anymore (see note above!).

I have a friend at work who keeps me in touch, shares the gossip and from time to time I've been out for a drink with her and the younger work set. (I love that word ‘set’ – wish we were the ‘fast set’.) So now she’s invited me for a drink and dinner then after to a pub where a colleague’s band will be playing. I know I should try to make more friends but all I want to do is go home on Friday after work. I’m going to lose the opportunity. It’s not that I want her as my Best Friend Forever and I’m sure the invitation for a drink will come again (she’s a great one for a drink). However, I feel out of practice. I hardly drink much anymore and can’t remember the last time I danced. Unfortunately, Mr J and I got together under the influence of alcohol and bad dancing so maybe that’s a good thing.

I’m a stay at home, watch the telly and do some knitting kind of girl now. I feel like an old, daggy fogey. My work friend is a false nails, get glammed up to go out kind of girl who can drink anyone under the table. I’m not a ‘girlfriend’ kind of girl. I don’t do phone calls, coffee with the girls. I think the thing is I feel like I won’t have anything to talk about with this crowd. And I'm not in the same league dress-wise.

Can I also add that I’ve writing this at work when I should be creating a poster for an event. Trust me, I’m no designer but noone else is going do it unless you want an enormous font and clipart frenzy. I don't know where to start! Gah!

6 comments:

Hyena In Petticoats said...

I know exactly what you mean. I regularly pass up social occasions to stay at home listening to podcasts and quilting.
I used to be a much more social person, but for now, I just put it down to a phase. I do beleive that later on in my life I will get back into going out with friends and being silly again, but for now, it's about heart and home and not putting myself into situations where I don't feel quite-socially-right.
Don't stress. We're all grandmas together.....

Jessicah said...

Oh! I'm so glad it's not just me. Maybe it's a crafty peeps thing? All I know is I have a good friend's 21st to go to next saturday and I'm nervous. Isn't that silly? Most of the time when I'm out at night, I'm babysitting! (making, not spending money at least). Maybe we all need to get together to knit or quilt or whatever. We could even do it in a bar!

Jodie said...

Seriously, I so understand what you are saying. I want to be at home doing my thing , not out doing someone elses thing and yes it makes me feel like a crotchety old grannie.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Nothing granny about it - it's just growing up and no longer wanting to waste 1/2 the weekend nursing a hangover. Do what you want to do and be glad that you can ;)

Cosy said...

dancingmorganmouse, you're absolutely right! It's about getting older, not acting like I'm 10/15 years younger. And being able to bounce around for the weekend as I please... rather than suffering!

Stomper Girl said...

I'm just too tired to go out drinking and dancing (I blame parenthood). I'd far rather have a nice coffee in the daytime or an earlyish meal. And I agree about wasting my time and my family's time while I recover the next morning!