Creamy Lemon Slice


This is a divine lemony slice that little miss flossy posted on her blog recently. It's a Martha recipe that works well. It's so easy and the results so excellent that I'm going to let everyone think I'm a cooking wunderkind!

For your entertainment, here's how to make it.

Creamy Lemon Slice

120gm butter
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 cup plain flour
4 egg yolks
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (I used the juice and rind of 2 juicy lemons)

Heat oven to 180C. Line a square tin with baking paper.


Mix butter, icing sugar and flour together to form a soft dough (I used my hands - it was very simple).

Press dough into the tin and prick all over with a fork,.(I got all patterny with the fork.) Bake for 20 minutes until pale golden.



To make the filling, whisk together yolks, condensed milk, and lemon juice until smooth.




Pour filling over hot crust and return to oven. Bake for 25 minutes until filling is set. Cool completely in pan and refrigerate until filling is firm.

Makes about 16 squares.




The result is a crisp, shortbread crust and a firm, lemony filling. It's so good that you could cut a wedge and serve as dessert with cream and raspberries. I'm getting all sentimental just thinking about it!



*The red bowl above is from the Salvos; it's painted glass. I also have a slightly larger blue one, also from an op-shop, so it makes me think they came as a set. I'd be very excited to hear if anyone has seen something similar in another colour.

14 comments:

Little Miss Flossy said...

Very cool with the patterny base - isn't it a great recipe. Even my kids like it and they're not big lemon fans. I think it's going to become my 'go-to' recipe for morning tea shouts.

Anonymous said...

OMG this looks devine!! I must try it!!

Unknown said...

Ooh I love anything lemony. I'll have to give this slice a try I reckon.

Rebecca said...

yum, that looks tasty. will have to try it myself. thanks!

Kris said...

Yummmm..... I'm a lover of lemony too!

Bird Bath said...

That looks delicious....would love a piece to go with my morning tea. Oh, the faraway clubhouse sounds dreamy :)

Stacey said...

I do love lemony desserts. I will definitely be giving this one a try.

Levin said...

we love all things lemony so i'm definately making this one.
do you suppose it is low fat? lol
l
x

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Your lemon slice looks delicious! I must admit tohaving a weakness for citrus flavoured treats.

Anonymous said...

This looks so yummy, I'm really gonna try cooking it :D thanks for sharing!

Kate Moore said...

I made this and it was so yum. I had to hide the stash so the kids and their friends didn't sit down and gorge themselves silly.

Unknown said...

Oh yummity yum! I will have to try this one it. It looks much firmer than my goopy lemon slice.

Dizzy said...

Looks delicious! I'm on my way to the kitchen to try it out!

Sarah said...

Just to let you know I made your slice today and it was SCRUMMY!