Travellers Return

Travel stickers from Zetta Florence and a new bag from the Art Centre market from Mattt.

We're back home and feel like we've been away forever! It's wonderful. It was such a lovely break in Melbourne.


Lots of walking, public transport travel - oh, how we love our 5-day Metcards! - visiting wonderful places and shops and seeing so many interesting people.

A visit to the NGV and the Art Deco exhibition which was fun and interesting.

I was so excited to visit Meet Me At Mike's. We trammed and walked up and down Fitzroy Street.


Some great wallets and brooches from Mikes. I tried on a great Sheep's Clothing hat (because it was a bit chilly) but my big head looked a little strange (sorry Stacey!).

We had a great chat with Mr Mike's (well, J talked and talked and talked. He's like that!) Pip came into the shop as we were leaving but I was too embarrassed to say much in case I gushed! (I'm like that.)

Sila Pasticceria Espresso Bar, originally uploaded by Fnarf

On Fitzroy Street we had coffee at Sila's. It was a happy chance find. I didn't realise until I looked back at Craft City Melbourne that it was a well-known cafe. All original fittings and fixtures, 1950s coffee machine and lots of laminex.

We had a lovely, lovely time.

Such a great city to visit.


Can I tell you that I had to try a Puffy Cookie on our last day in Melbourne? I haven't seen such exotica in Adelaide but was very happy with vanilla and a chocolate one. Kind of a cross between a canoli and a cream puff. A nice treat but perhaps not something I need everyday!

9 comments:

Stomper Girl said...

Glad you had a good visit.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

We have puffys in Sydney, there are divine. Not an everyday treat mind you ;)
Glad to see you had a lovely visit, Melbourne is one of the best walking cities around.

Kris said...

So glad to hear you had a great visit. Your photos are fantastic! Such brilliant buildings. How exciting to visit 'Mikes'. (jealous)

Stacey said...

So glad you had a nice time, even it if has been so cold here of late.
Oh I do the gushy thing too when I meet someone and am feeling a bit nervous about it.
I can just hear myself speaking drivel and cringe.

Kate Moore said...

It's such a great place to visit. I keep telling myself I need to trip around Sydney, my closest capital city, with the same "eyes" I trip around other places. What did you think of the Art Deco exhibition? I am planning a trip for September.

Bird Bath said...

your trip away sounds lovely....it's quite a few years since I've been there. those photos and descriptions of the trams make me want to visit again.soon.I'm intruiged by the puffy cakes.

Laura Jane said...

Thanks for dropping by to my blog, and for your kind comments. I love the textile flavour of your blog - I have a bit of a thing for them as well, and remember those pale blue Dorcas pin tins.

I love to visit Melbourne too, my sister lives in South Melbourne so the inner city is a haunt for me. I lived in Clayton for 7 months in the eighties!

That Lemon slice recipe looks great too, I'm a major lemon fan.

Maybe I'll make it and take it into work! Midwives are always up for a bit of sweet something.

Claire (ethel loves fred) said...

You got some great shots, I particularly like the pink building! I'm sorry to say that Sydney is not that interesting anymore, it's just a big, ugly city! So jealous you went to Mikes!!

LBA said...

You probably saw more of Melbourne than us locals ;)

Sorry it was so cold though - brr !

xx