Year's End



I made it. I finished all my work and have completed the first year of my course. It has been the best year. The Best!

It was actually one of the worst years in other ways with family stresses. However, the course and the people I have met have helped make it the best year.

We had our exhibition night yesterday. It took all day to set up and five minutes to take down. Always the way. Even in 43 degree heat, we were all enthused. We have lovely teachers and my class is so supportive towards each other and encouraging. It has been a fantastic introduction to painting, drawing and printmaking. (Ah, printmaking! My favourite!)

The painting above is my first acrylic painting based on a beautiful photograph by Jo. (Jo, you didn't know you had a red chair, did you?)



The second is a an exercise in layers and textures, based on the first painting. I took a small section of the first and made a new painting. Then took another tiny section from the second and made a third painting, above.



Ah round bald heads. An early line drawing exercise.



Then my first ever lino prints. The funny pale one is an embossed print, where the lino block is put through the press uninked.

I loved the printmaking process so much. My prints weren't always great but the doing and thinking and making was the thing.

I'm looking forward to next year so much. I have a different outlook on life, I think, because of this course, beginning to see in a different way. I'm just beginning the learning process and want to increase my technical knowledge and skill. And I want to loosen up and do more drawing and learn more.



12 comments:

Jo said...

Ooh, i love it! And it is all Margaret Preston-y, my very favourite artist. Well done. Good for you for stepping out of the old comfort zone (or is that the comfy & cosy zone?).

We have just had a change come through, so I am feeling your 43 degree pain. Hope it came through there much earlier.

And you know, that red just captures the tone of the chairs perfectly. Looks great against the pears.

Jo x

Kirsty (boblog) said...

Love the prints!

Stomper Girl said...

Great work! You have obviously worked hard this year! Sorry to hear about your family stress though.

AMCSviatko said...

Thanks for sharing, both your work and your experiences this year. I think I'll be linking to your post as you articulate what my year's been like (even though mine's been somewhat diluted as I've only been studying part time)

Kate Moore said...

Well done, it looks like it's been a great year. Your work looks outstanding.

Kris said...

Nice work! I love your art and I love that you have transformed your life. And all in 12 months. Impressive! Hope next year is even better.

Anonymous said...

WOW Carolyn these works are sooooo impressive I love them sooo much you are brilliant I have looked at your painting for so long loving it so much. It's all wonderful. LOVING your prints too. It's great you love your course so much. I truly miss mine and wish I could do it all again xxxx

Bird Bath said...

such wonderful artwork! how excellent that your decision to go to art school has been such a success. I'm glad that this direction has inspired you so much.

Levin said...

I love your artwork. where are you studying?
studying is a fabulous thing to do - isn't it. I can't believe how much it's change my outlook and how happy i am. don't get me wrong - i will never regret staying at home with my children, but it's nice to be able to do something different after 8 years at home. something for me.
goodluck next year - it looks like you've found your calling :)
l
x

Jenny said...

You should be very proud-these pieces are awesome-glad you enjoyed it so much

Tania said...

Hearty congratulations to you – you're stuff looks gorgeous (especially loving the textural piece - which is predictable of me cos I'm a bit of a sucker for some of the texture stuff).

PS. I love 'freaking'!

benelli m4 for sale said...



Exotic cart is a well known prefilled THC oil cartridge, and stoners from the west to east drift use them. ... Our cartscontain premium lab tried THC Oil which these days, is hard to find. Our pre-filled cannabis cartridges are ideal for vaping Maryjane in a hurry.
mario carts
exotic carts
dankwoods for sale
brass knuckles vape
buy carts
mario carts flavors
pink rutz
mario carts online
mario cartridges
mario carts for sale
stiiizy pod
dankvapes
space monkey meds
dank vapes
organic smart carts
mario carts thc
smart carts
buy mario carts cartridges
710 kingpin vapes
buy mario carts vape
order exotic carts vape
buy runtz
buy white runtz
pink runtz
710 kingpin vapes
moonrock clear carts
kingpen gelato
kingpen
skywalker og
runtz
rove carts
cereal cart
buy weed
smart buds
moonrock clear carts
buy carts